Monday, November 23, 2009

Will's cast removal

Sawing away the old cast
I was amazed at the number of stitches Will had. The doctor made it sound like this procedure was very simple so I wasn't expecting quite this many stitches. He had incisions on the front of his leg, two sides of it, two places on the back, and two small holes on the bottom of his foot. What a trooper he has been!
You can barely see that there is something on the bottom of his foot in this picture. One of the things that was done in the procedure was splitting a tendon on the inside of his foot and then moving it to the outside of his foot to give him greater flexibility. In order to anchor the tendon to its new location, they used string to tie it to the bone. There are two little holes on the bottom of his foot that had string coming out and was tied to a button. I didn't realize that the button was actually going to still be there!
Will sporting his new (huge) boot. He only has to wear this for two weeks which is almost over because I'm behind on my post! He is counting down the days until he doesn't have to wear this boot.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sherri said...

What a trooper! of course Will would be smiling in every picture. That looks rough though!

Introspective Steph said...

wow, he is a trooper. I've never had to get surgery (except for wisdom teeth) and i think i would have been scared seeing the saw. But, i'm sure he's happy it's off and wasn't scared of it at all.

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving! Are you going to Ohio to the Allen's or with your family? either way, have fun and enjoy!

Faith Penningtons said...

I want to see the button!

Happy Turkey Day!

Lesa said...

Ahhhh,,,,Sighhhhh,,,,Mannnnn. This reminded me of when I had my cast removed six weeks after shattering my wrist. I actually cried at the sight of 15 stitches and 3 exterior pins and the x-ray of the 2 x 4 inch plate w/ 12 screws. Casts are nice because they hide the reality of what the real situation is. Will is a TROUPER...I am sorry he had to go through this.