Monday, October 18, 2010

Before and After


We thought we would post a couple of pictures taken of Aaron's heart in the Cath lab. He had 100% occlusion in the Left Anterior Descending Artery. A common nickname for this artery is the "Widow Maker". Thankfully, no one referred to it as that until after this procedure. The nurses and doctor reminded us several times in the hospital how lucky we are he is alive. We are definitely grateful for his quick response to the symptoms and for excellent medical care.

You can see the artery is now visible after being opened up by angioplasty and inserting a stent.
Aaron called me at 7:30 Sunday morning to inform me the doctor had been in and told him he could go home. He was hoping to be released Saturday, but they decided to keep him for another day for observation because he was starting some new medications. He will be off work for a couple of weeks and is supposed to take it easy during that time. He will have several doctor appointments in the next few weeks and will begin rehab soon. We are learning so much right now and trying to make changes at home that will help Aaron to stay with us for many years to come. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and service to our family.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kate said...

Those before and after photos are CRAZY! How amazing that he's okay. We're SO glad. This whole thing has really got me thinking about how we need to try and be healthier around here. Thinking of you guys!

Katie said...

WOW! LAD with 100% occlusion??!! That is nothing short of a miracle! I am so glad it went well and they were able to open it up. Just be sure he takes his Plavix religiously (he's on Plavix right?). I can't tell you how many patients we would have that would have in stent re-stenosis and say, Oh I quit taking the plavix a few months ago because I didn't think I needed it anymore. I am so glad that he is doing well and now will have regular visits with cardiologists. We are thinking of you and your family!